June 2013 - Presidents Letter
PART OF SOMETHING
Being a member, volunteer or supporter of the YMCA means you are part of something greater; you are part of strengthening our community, this is the YMCAs cause. We accomplish this through programs that enhance and encourage Youth Development, Healthy Living and Social Responsibility in our community.
Youth Development – Nurturing the Potential of Youth!
• It is our goal that every child in Tucson will learn how to swim! We are working to accomplish this by offering swim lessons at no charge and we are able to do this thanks to many very generous supporters and sponsors.
• Thanks to the vision of long time YMCA supporter and legendary fundraiser Jeffrey Minker kids at Triangle Y Ranch Camp will experience astronomy during their stay at camp.
Healthy Living – Making Tucson a Healthier Community!
• You’ve still got it – One of many slogans used in our newest program model. The goal is to keeps adults over 50 active and healthy and we are making it fun!
Social Responsibility – Giving Back and Providing Support to Our Neighbors!
• On May 17 our YMCA held its Annual Meeting – this year we focused on 3 key areas Military Outreach, YMCA as a Global Movement and Health Innovations at the Y.
• This year I had the opportunity to visit Capitol Hill along with YMCA board member Roy Morey to share the good work of our YMCA with our elected officials!
• Thanks to the generosity of Sam Puller a long time YMCA member and his family and friends the Ott Family YMCA will have the chance to put the finishing touches on the Splash Pad that was part of the 2010 Renovation.
• The YMCA Foundation of Southern Arizona was established to insure the YMCA keeps its pledge to never turn away a child due to an inability to pay a program fee. With help from many of you we are transforming lives!
This week summer has officially kicked off at the YMCA. Staff is in place and ready to welcome the thousands of kids that will have the chance to experience fun, adventure and independence in YMCA programs. If you haven’t had a chance to feel the energy and excitement that summer at the YMCA generates please feel free to drop into one of our YMCAs.
To view the full president's letter click here!