Drowning continues to be the leading cause of unintentional injury death among children 1-4 years and teens 15-19 years across the country. In 2020, our community (Pima County) experienced 13 water related incidents, with one resulting in a drowning.
In an effort to prevent one more drowning from occurring, the YMCA of Southern Arizona and News 4 Tucson Lifesaver are partnering to provide invaluable water safety education to children and families in our community.
virtual swimfest 2021 is almost here!
Every Thursday this summer we are releasing new videos in partnership with News 4 Tucson Lifesaver that will share water safety tips and activities to help educate children and their families about water safety. Follow the below steps to help prevent water related incidents in our community:
- Take the Water Watcher Pledge and help prevent drownings in your community. Each individual that pledges to be a Water Watcher will receive the following items:
- An opportunity to register your children for swim lessons this summer. Eligible children ages 3-14 will have an opportunity to enroll in the Safety Around Water for free! There are additional swim lesson opportunities available for children under the age of 3 (along with their guardians). Once the pledge has been completed a member of our team will reach out to the primary contact with swim lesson registration information.
- A Virtual Swimfest Care Package from News 4 Tucson Lifesaver. This virtual kit includes a load of goodies from community sponsors and partners.
- Safety Around Water Activity Box filled with water safety activities and resources. This activity box will help educate all the members of your household about water safety!
- Share the virtual Swimfest videos each week they are released on social media to help increase water safety awareness within our community. The more we get the word out, the more likely we are to prevent another death.
Video Release Schedule:
- Thursday, June 3
- Thursday, June 10
- Thursday, June 17
- Thursday, June 24
- Thursday, July 1
- Thursday, July 8
- Thursday, July 15
- Thursday, July 22