This position supports the work of the YMCA of Southern Arizona, a leading nonprofit committed to strengthening communities. The Aquatics Operations Director is responsible for the development, organization, implementation and evaluation of the department while helping to ensure aquatic operations are consistent across the association and run smoothly with the implementation of preventative maintenance plans and safety procedures. This position will be a dynamic, highly motivated individual tasked with the supervision and training of aquatic staff along with providing leadership support to the association. Through intentional interactions this position will model excellent leadership and have extensive knowledge in the aquatics industry contributing to the overall success of the department, branch and organization as a whole.
- Develops, implements systems and measurements for preventative maintenance and safety procedures to ensure operational efficiency. Prepares and presents data-driven proposals as needed.
- Works with leadership to train staff and implement preventative maintenance plans and procedures that will ensure safety for all.
- Responsible for the overall aquatic day-to-day operations at the home branch of Ott Family YMCA and Lighthouse/City YMCA.
- Responds to all member and community inquiries and complaints in a timely manner.
- Maintains a strong understanding of current industry standards within aquatics.
- Recruits, hires, trains, and evaluates staff that is consistent with industry best practices. Develops strategies to motivate staff and achieve goals.
- Works with leadership to develop department and staff schedules based on programming, facility, association, and community needs.
- Coordinates, implements, and provides oversight to programs that meet the needs of the community in accordance with the organization’s strategic direction and goals.
- Develops, manages and controls the budget to ensure fiscal responsibility within the department.
- Ensures all aquatics staff is ready to respond in the event of an emergency by coordinating, planning, and implementing monthly training and drills.
- Ensures all aquatics staff has appropriate and current certifications on file.
- Ensures processes and policies are in place to ensure compliance with all state, local and YMCA health and safety regulations. This includes (but is not limited to) maintaining inservice training records, safety drills, attendance records and chemical logs.
- Identifies, develops, and maintains strategic collaborative relationships with school districts and other organizations/agencies related to assigned programs.
- Actively listens, reflects and responds to questions and concerns in a caring manner. When the opportunity presents itself, go above and beyond to resolve the situation immediately.
- Provides leadership and models excellent customer service to provide a welcoming environment for all volunteers, staff, members, and guests by following customer service best practices. This includes (but is not limited to) adhering to the “ten-foot rule” and maintaining eye contact.
- Facilitates relationships and maintains regular communication with branch leadership.
- Effectively engages with diverse groups of people with different abilities and backgrounds.
- Assists in the marketing and distribution of program information.
- Assists in YMCA fundraising activities and special events.
- Flexible in traveling to multiple sites within the association.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Must be 21 years of age
- Minimum of High School Diploma or GED, Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- Excellent interpersonal and problem-solving skills
- Intermediate or advanced knowledge of technology
- Minimum of two years leadership experience in related field(s)
- Three to five years of customer service experience preferred
- Required Certifications: Certified Pool Operation, Basic Life Support or Professional Rescuer CPR/AED, First Aid, Emergency Oxygen Administration, YMCA Swim Lesson Instructor And YMCA Lifeguard or equivalent
- Preferred Certifications: YMCA Swim Lesson Instructor Trainer and YMCA Lifeguard Instructor Trainer
- Completion of YMCA’s online training within seven (7) days of hire
- Must be available to work a flexible schedule including early mornings, afternoons, evening and weekends
All employees will lead by example to teach participants the importance of the YMCA’s core values: Honesty, Caring, Respect, and Responsibility. A post-offer background screening is required for this full-time, exempt position at Ott Family YMCA (and Lighthouse/City YMCA). The schedule will be dependent on business needs, which may include early mornings, evenings, and weekends.
To apply for this full-time, exempt position send your resume and cover letter to CandisM@TucsonYMCA.org.
** Please note, we will not accept resumes or applications, for this position, if you apply through a third-party vendor.**