Under the direction of the Multi-site Group Exercise Supervisor, the Group Exercise Instructor supports the work of the YMCA of Southern Arizona, a leading nonprofit committed to strengthening the community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. The Group Exercise Specialist is responsible for instructing group classes in a safe, enjoyable, and positive environment that welcome people of all skill and fitness levels. Effectively builds community within the class, and modifies class as needed to meet varied health, ability, and cultural needs
- Leads energizing, fun, safe, and educational group classes, as directed by the supervisor, to accomplish the YMCA mission and goals
- Asks and answers questions from program participants and members to support them in achieving their goals related to health and well-being.
- Maintains working knowledge of wellness and trends to provide effective information and support to members.
- Builds effective, authentic relationships with members; helps members and program participants connect with each other and the YMCA.
- Observes and adjusts the approach to support all participants’ capabilities, physical conditions, health, and culture.
- Celebrates achievement of program participants related to program or personal goals, mastering of specific skills, or overall health and well-being.
- Keeps accurate class attendance records.
- Follows YMCA policies and procedures; responds to emergency situations.
- Makes reasonable efforts to be available to sub for other instructors.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Current CPR/AED, and First Aid upon hire.
- One-year experience teaching group wellness classes is preferred.
- Completion of YMCA’s online training within seven days of hire.
- Certification required, ie: TRX, Les Mills, Zumba, Yoga, Pilates, etc.
- National Certification preferred: ACE (American Council on Exercise) or AFAA (Athletics and Fitness Association of America) current and on file OR Specialty
All employees will lead by example to teach participants the importance of the YMCA core values: Honesty, Caring, Respect, and Responsibility. A post-offer background screening is required for this position. This is a part-time position that will not exceed 28 hours per we and will remain open until filled. We have multiple positions across Tucson to be filled, including downtown, the north side, south side, and east side, please express your preference at the time of your interview.
To apply for this non-benefit eligible position, click the button below and complete the employment interest form.
** Please note, we will not accept resumes or applications, for this position, if you apply through a third-party vendor.**