Under the direction of the Aquatics Coordinator and/or Association Aquatics Director the Lifeguard, in cooperation with other staff, creates a safe and positive atmosphere that welcomes and respects all individuals while promoting and maintaining safe swimming conditions in the pool, deck and surrounding areas in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures. Additionally, this individual will respond to member and guest needs, promote memberships and programs, and sanitize and adhere to all COVID-19 standards.
• Ensures the proper chemical balance by checking chlorine and pH levels.
• Maintains a clean and safe environment – including the deck, pool, restrooms, storage, pump room, and other areas in use.
• Performs equipment checks and ensures appropriate equipment is available as needed.
• Proactively communicates with the Pool Operator and Aquatics Supervisor regarding additional repairs or services needed.
• Knows, understands, and consistently applies safety rules, policies, and guidelines for the aquatic area, facility, and organization.
• Maintains active surveillance of the pool area.
• Knows and reviews all emergency procedures and responds to emergency situations immediately in accordance with YMCA policies, procedures, and the “10:10” model; completes related reports as required.
• Maintains accurate records as required by the YMCA and/or the state health department code.
• Checks the pool for hazardous conditions when arriving.
• Attends and participates in all staff meetings and in-service trainings.
• Builds relationships with members; helps members connect with one another and the YMCA.
• Responds to challenges with possible solutions in a timely manner.
• Remains calm and objective when under pressure or when challenged by others.
• Handles and resolves member concerns using strong conflict management skills and informs the appropriate staff of unusual situations or unresolved issues.
• Provides excellent service to members, guests, and program participants in the Y and on the phone; positively contributing to member experience and retention.
• Ensures a safe and clean environment for all by following social distancing guidelines and sanitation procedures.
• Cleans and sanitizes areas according to COVID-19 and YMCA standards.
• Consistently applies all YMCA policies and SOPs, including but not limited to COVID-19.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Minimum age of sixteen
• Certifications: Basic life support or professional rescuer CPR/AED, first aid, emergency oxygen administration, and YMCA Lifeguard or equivalent
• Complete all online training within first seven days of hire
• Ability to maintain certification-level physical and mental readiness
• Must demonstrate lifeguard skills in accordance with YMCA standards
All employees will lead by example to teach participants the importance of the YMCA core values: Honesty, Caring, Respect and Responsibility. A post offer background screening is required for this position. Schedule will vary based on business needs, availability from 5:00am – 11:00am preferred. Training opportunities are available!
We have multiple locations including but not limited, Lohse Family YMCA, Northwest City YMCA, Lighthouse City YMCA, and Ott Family YMCA, please express your preference at the time of your interview.
To apply for this part-time, non-benefit eligible position, send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or pick up an application at your local YMCA branch and turn in the completed application along with your resume to:
YMCA of Southern Arizona
Attn: Candis M.
PO BOX 1111
Tucson, AZ 85702
** Please note, we will not accept resumes or applications, for this position, if you apply through a third party vendor.**