The Program Instructor Specialist supports the work of the YMCA of Southern Arizona, a leading nonprofit committed to strengthening communities. This position provides instruction to participants of different ages and ensures that they thrive and are successful within the program. Through intentional interactions, this position will model excellent customer service in order to contribute to the overall success of the department, branch, and organization as a whole.
- Actively engages children of all ages in program activities and implements program activities that are culturally relevant, developmentally appropriate, and consistent with YMCA values and character development. Nurtures children through purposeful programming dedicated to building achievement and belonging in youth and relationships among youth and within families.
- Has the ability to implement and is knowledgeable in best practices, rules, and guidelines for a variety of youth activities and sports.
- Delivers a personalized approach when engaging with program participants that create a positive experience. This includes (but is not limited to) introductions to other YMCA program areas and services.
- Provides exceptional customer service by exceeding guest expectations.
- Consistently greets every person who enters the YMCA (by name, if known) and recognizes all members and guests when they leave.
- Engages in active listening with prospects, members, and program participants in order to build relationships, understand an individual’s goals and interests, and takes the initiative to ensure they have a positive experience.
- Creates and fosters strong relationships with YMCA staff, members, program participants, guests, community members, and stakeholders to connect them with others and the YMCA.
- Actively listens, reflects, and responds to customer questions and concerns in a caring manner. When the opportunity presents itself, goes above and beyond to resolve the situation immediately.
- Effectively communicates unusual situations and unresolved issues to the appropriate member of leadership ensuring the best interest of all parties involved.
- Follows and enforces all YMCA procedures and policies, including personnel guidelines, safety guidelines, facility access procedures, and membership policies. Carries out emergency plans as appropriate.
- Flexible in traveling to multiple sites around the greater Tucson area.
- Initiates appropriate actions to maintain safety, cleanliness, and organization throughout the facility, with priority being in the program area.
- Collects, maintains, and reports necessary data to assist with maintaining efficient operations.
- Is knowledgeable and supportive of the YMCA Annual Campaign.
- Attends and remains current on all mandatory training and staff meetings.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Must be 18 years of age.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Level One Fingerprint Card preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to plan, organize, and implement developmentally appropriate activities.
- General knowledge of skill and ability to implement age-appropriate program activities.
- Minimum of one year of experience with youth.
- Intermediate or advanced knowledge of technology.
- Certifications required within thirty (30) days of hire: CPR/AED and First Aid.
- Completion of YMCA’s online training within seven (7) days of hire.
- Available to work a flexible schedule including early mornings, afternoons, evenings, and weekends.
All employees will lead by example to teach participants the importance of the YMCA core values: Honesty, Caring, Respect and Responsibility. A post-offer background screening is required for this part-time position. The schedule will be dependent on business needs to include early mornings, evenings and weekends.
To apply for this non-benefit eligible position, click the button below and complete the employment interest form.
** Please note, we will not accept resumes or applications, for this position, if you apply through a third party vendor.**