Under the direction of the Aquatics Coordinator and/or Association Aquatics Director the Swim Lesson Instructor , in cooperation with other staff, will be responsible for maintaining a supportive, positive atmosphere that welcomes and respects all individuals and provides direct leadership, instruction and motivation for students in swim classes. Additionally, this individual will respond to member and guest needs, promote memberships and programs, and sanitize and adhere to all COVID-19 standards.
• Instructs swimming lessons in accordance with YMCA guidelines, having prepared lesson plans accordingly, and supports members and program participants in achieving their goals.
• Develops and maintains positive relationships with volunteers, members or program participants, and colleagues at all levels of the organization; helps participants and families connect with each other and the YMCA; and encourages parent or caregiver involvement.
• Conveys information on aquatics programs and schedules and as appropriate refers program participants and families to other programs.
• Maintains records as required (e.g., attendance, progress reports).
• Follows all YMCA policies, rules, regulations and procedures, including emergency and safety procedures. Completes incident and accident reports as necessary.
• Organizes and puts away needed class equipment. Reports damaged equipment.
• YMCA Swim Instructor certification, or equivalent.
• CPR for the Professional Rescuer, AED, Basic First Aid and Emergency Oxygen certifications required.
• Must be able to demonstrate swim instructor skills in accordance with YMCA standards.
• At least 16 years of age.
Work Environment & Physical Demands:
• The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Ability to instruct and observe participants in proper stroke techniques.
• Ability to lift equipment, and to lift a small to average size child.
All employees will lead by example to teach participants the importance of the YMCA core values: Honesty, Caring, Respect and Responsibility. A post offer background screening is required for this position. Schedule will vary based on business needs. Training opportunities are available!
We have multiple locations including but not limited, Lohse Family YMCA, Northwest City YMCA, Lighthouse City YMCA, and Ott Family YMCA, please express your preference at the time of your interview.
To apply for this part-time, non-benefit eligible position, send your resume to email@example.com or pick up an application at your local YMCA and mail the completed application along with your resume to:
YMCA of Southern Arizona
Attn: Candis M.
PO BOX 1111
Tucson, AZ 85702
** Please note, we will not accept resumes or applications, for this position, if you apply through a third party vendor.**