Under the direction of the Aquatics Supervisor, Aquatics Director, and/or Association Aquatics Director the Swim Lesson Instructor supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit, charitable organization committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility. The Swim Instructor maintains a supportive, positive atmosphere that welcomes and respects all individuals and provides direct leadership, instruction, and motivation for students in swim classes.
• Instructs swimming lessons in accordance with YMCA guidelines, having prepared lesson plans accordingly, and supports members and program participants in achieving their goals.
• Develops and maintains positive relationships with volunteers, members or program participants, and colleagues at all levels of the organization; helps participants and families connect with each other and the YMCA; and encourages parent or caregiver involvement.
• Conveys information on aquatics programs and schedules and as appropriate refers program participants and families to other programs.
• Maintains records as required (e.g., attendance, progress reports).
• Follows all YMCA policies, rules, regulations, and procedures, including emergency and safety procedures. Completes incident and accident reports as necessary.
• Organizes and puts away needed class equipment. Reports damaged equipment.
• YMCA Swim Instructor certification, or equivalent.
• CPR for the Professional Rescuer, AED, Basic First Aid, and Emergency Oxygen certifications required.
• Must be able to demonstrate swim instructor skills in accordance with YMCA standards.
• At least 16 years of age.
All employees will lead by example to teach participants the importance of the YMCA’s core values: Honesty, Caring, Respect, and Responsibility. A post-offer background screening and drug test is required for this position. This is a part-time position is currently available at Lighthouse/City YMCA, Lohse Family YMCA, Northwest YMCA, and Ott Family YMCA and will remain open until filled.
Training opportunities available with employment commitment!
Swim instructor Prerequisites
- Swim at least 25 yards of each: front crawl, breaststroke, sidestroke, butterfly, elementary backstroke, backstroke. At least 4 of the strokes need to be in good form based on the Stroke Development stage.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using a variety of kicks (egg beater, scissor)
To apply for this non-benefit eligible position, click the button below and complete the employment interest form.
** Please note, we will not accept resumes or applications, for this position, if you apply through a third-party vendor.**