Tucson: Let’s Get Outside and Move!
If you’re looking for some motivation to exercise, get outdoors, meet new people… or all of the above… We have just the event for you! Join the YMCA of Southern Arizona for Movement for Mental Health (and bring a friend, we love friends)!
As part of Mental Health Awareness Month (May) the YMCA of Southern Arizona is going beyond the walls of its gyms to provide FREE outdoor exercise classes for all community members. The Y will provide (2) group exercise classes per day at various locations throughout Tucson and Pima County during the week of May 17 – May 22, 2021. Classes will include Zumba, yoga, Pilates, and more! In addition to our classes, the Y is proud to partner with El Rio Health, which will also be providing FREE mobile exercise classes. Please read the following information to ensure an optimal experience for all.
- Your health and safety are our number one priority, which is why we are currently adhering to CDC guidelines and recommendations from Arizona’s Department of Health Services.
- Our outdoor classes will be socially distanced.
- Class participants and instructors are not required to wear a mask during the (outdoor) exercise classes.
- If you are not feeling well or have been exposed to someone who is exhibiting signs of sickness, we ask you to please stay home.
- Class capacity will be based on the site guidelines.
- The classes are first-come, first-serve so you may want to arrive a few minutes early to guarantee your spot!
- These classes are available for all fitness levels.
- Please remember to bring your own water bottle and towel. (For yoga classes also remember to bring a mat or towel.)
Check back here soon as we will be updating this page with the YMCA’s Movement for Mental Health schedule.
read our top 7 reasons to participate in the YMCA’s Movement for Mental Health!
- Elevate your mood! Your body releases endorphins (AKA the pain reducer and feel-good hormone) while exercising.
- Sharpen your mind! Working out is proven to improve your memory and brain function!
- You’ll sleep better! Exercising helps the body relax and aids sleep
- Lower your blood pressure and improve heart health! Exercise is linked to both.
- Boost your Vitamin D! Outdoor exercise is a natural way to increase this essential vitamin. (Vitamin D is proven to boost your body’s immune system and is linked to reducing depression.)
- Reduce stress! Being in nature is proven to calm the body so combine that with a workout and you’re guaranteed to feel better!
- Meet someone new! Give Zoom a break and connect with your Tucson neighbors. There is no substitute for seeing a smile in person!