BUILD A SKILL.
SAVE A LIFE.
Whether you are looking for a great part-time job or career as a first responder, becoming an American Red Cross lifeguard at the YMCA is the place to begin! This course is only open to qualified applicants who have successfully passed a YMCA interview and prerequisite skill assessment. Those with a strong swimming background and work ethic are encouraged to send in their application to Candis Martin to be considered for positions opening this fall for the 2019-2020 school year.
apply to become a lifeguard today!
training location & Course Information:
LOHSE FAMILY YMCA
60 West Alameda Street, Tucson, AZ
Instructors: Savannah Albright and Gill Osgood
- 8/10, 8/11. 8/18, and 8/18 from 8am-5pm (class and skills practice)
- Minimum age is 15 years old, however, to be eligible for hire, the YMCA and Pima County require you be 16 years old.
- Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing.
- Candidates may use front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both but swimming on the back or side is not allowed.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs.
- Complete the following events in 1 minute, 40 seconds:
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. Face may be in or out of the water.
- Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to retrieve a 10-pound object.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so they are able to get a breath.
- Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
- Valid participant email address and access to online materials.
- Complete all required online materials prior to class sessions.
- Attend and participate in all class sessions.
- Demonstrate competency in all required skills and activities.
- Demonstrate competency in all required final rescue skill scenarios.
- Pass the CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer, First Aid, Oxygen and Lifeguarding Skills final written exams with minimum grades of 80 percent.
Upon completion of this course, participants will receive American Red Cross certificate for Lifeguarding, First Aid, CPR Pro, AED, and Oxygen. All Lifeguards who pass this course will also also receive a free YMCA family members with their employment.
For more information regarding this class contact: Candis Martin, at email@example.com