be a leader &
Give back to
The YMCA’s aquatic team is looking to hire responsible, caring, and safety-focused leaders to serve our community as a Lifeguard and/or Swim Instructor. Through this unique opportunity, the YMCA will cover all certification costs as well as help you learn great lessons, develop strong skills, and have the stepping stones that will lead to your future career. You can join the team in 3 easy steps!
Step 1: Download the application and email us today
Send your completed application to the Association Aquatics Director at CandisM@TucsonYMCA.org
Step 2: successfully complete the in-person interview and skill assessment
- Minimum age is 16 years old
- Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing.
- Candidates may use front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both but swimming on the back or side is not allowed.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs.
- Complete the following events in 1 minute, 40 seconds:
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. The face may be in or out of the water.
- Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to retrieve a 10-pound object.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so they are able to get a breath.
- Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
Swim instructor Prerequisites
- Swim at least 25 yards of each: front crawl, breaststroke, sidestroke, butterfly, elementary backstroke, backstroke. At least 4 of the strokes need to be in good form based on the Stroke Development stage.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using a variety of kicks (egg beater, scissor)
Step 3: attend and successfully complete one of the trainings listed on the certification flyer below.