BUILD A SKILL
SAVE A LIFE
SPRING 2017 – AMERICAN RED CROSS LIFEGUARD CERTIFICATIONS
The purpose of the American Red Cross Blended Learning Lifeguarding course is to provide entry-level lifeguard participants with the knowledge and skills to prevent, recognize and respond to aquatics emergencies and to provide care for breathing and cardiac emergencies, injuries and sudden illnesses until emergency medical services (EMS) personnel take over.
- Must be 15 years old on or before the final day of the course.
- Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing.
- Candidates may use front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both but swimming on the back or side is not allowed.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs.
- Complete the following events in 1 minute, 40 seconds:
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. Face may be in or out of the water.
- Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to retrieve a 10-pound object.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so they are able to get a breath.
- Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
- Valid participant email address and access to online materials.
- Complete all required online materials prior to class sessions.
- Attend and participate in all class sessions.
- Demonstrate competency in all required skills and activities.
- Demonstrate competency in all required final rescue skill scenarios.
- Pass the CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer, First Aid, Oxygen and Lifeguarding Skills final written exams with minimum grades of 80 percent.
Upon completion of this course participants will receive American Red Cross certificate for Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED/Oxygen valid for 2 years.
$30* for YMCA members
$50* for non-members
*An additional certification fee of $35 will be charged by the American Red Cross when first accessing online videos.
scheduled Spring 2017 courses
LOHSE FAMILY YMCA
60 West Alameda Street, Tucson, AZ
Winter Break Weekday
Monday, January 2: 9a-11a
Tuesday-Friday, January 3-6*: 9a-2p
Rodeo Break Weekend
Wednesday, February 22: 6-8p
Thursday-Saturday, February 23-25*: 9a-6p
Spring Break Weekday
Friday, March 10th: 6-8 p
Monday-Wednesday, March 13-15*: 9a-6p
April- May Weekend
Friday, April 28: 6-8p
Saturdays, May 6-20*: 9a-6p
*1 day from each Lohse Family YMCA course will be
held at the OTT Family YMCA for deep water practice.
OTT FAMILY YMCA
401 South Prudence Road, Tucson, AZ 85710
(East Tucson )
Friday, February 17: 4-6p
Saturdays and Sundays, February 18-26: 8a-5p
Friday, March 10: 4-6p
Saturdays and Sundays, March 11-19: 8a-5p
Friday, April 21: 4-6p
Saturdays and Sundays, April 22-30: 8a-5p