Formal swimming lessons reduce the likelihood of childhood drowning by 88%
The Y is known as “America’s Swim Instructor.” In fact, we are credited for being the first to develop a group swim instruction program in 1909. Although we have come a long way since that first group swim lesson, we are still leading the way in drowning prevention and water safety education!
At the YMCA of Southern Arizona, all Swim Instructors are certified and knowledgeable in our nationally recognized swim lesson curriculum. To ensure the safety of our guests and program participants, all YMCA pools have a certified lifeguard on duty at all times. Below is a sneak peek of what may be offered beginning in June across Tucson Y’s.
- Swim Starters (ages 6-36 months)
- Swim Basics (ages 3-12 years)
- Safety Around Water (ages 3-14 years)
- Individual Lessons (all ages/skills, 1 participant : 1 Instructor)
- Buddy Lessons (all ages/skills, 2 participants : 1 Instructor)
- Swim Strokes (ages 5-12 years)
- Teen and Adult (ages 13+)